Wednesday, October 27, 2010
Doughnuts - Daring Bakers Challenge October 2010
My daughter was excited to see that this month's Daring bakers challenge was Doughnuts. She love it, who doesn't????????
The October 2010 Daring Bakers challenge was hosted by Lori of Butter Me Up. Lori chose to challenge DBers to make doughnuts. She used several sources for her recipes including Alton Brown, Nancy Silverton, Kate Neumann and Epicurious.
The challenge was to make simply the doughnuts with the four recipes provided.I choose to do the Alton brown yeasted doughnuts.
The original recipe is here
Milk 3/4 cup
Active Dry Yeast 2 tsp
Warm Water 2 tbsp
White Granulated Sugar 2 tbsp
Table Salt 3/4 tsp
Nutmeg, grated 1 tsp.
All Purpose Flour 2 1/2 cups and 1/4 cup for dusting
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE
Butter 2 tbsp
Milk 2 tbsp
chocolate 1/2 cup
Icing sugar 3/4 cup
1. Warm the milk and add the butter to it. Keep it aside
2. Sprinkle the yeast to the warm water and let it foam for five minutes.
3.After it has frothed up add this mixture to the milk -butter mixture .
4. Add the eggs, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and half of the flour and mix thoroughly with a hand beater( I did not use one though)
5. Add the remaining flour, combining on low speed at first, and then increase the speed to medium and beat well.
6. Take this sticky dough out of the bowl and transfer it to a floured board and knead well. If it is too sticky add some more flour( i added 1/4 cup extra)
7. Transfer to a well-oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
8. On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to 3/8-inch (9 mm)thick. (Make sure the surface really is well-floured otherwise your doughnuts will stick to the counter).
9. Cut out the doughnuts using the doughnut cutter or cookie cutters and transfer these to a floured baked sheet. Cover and let it rise for another 30 minutes
10. Preheat the oil in a deep fryer or Dutch oven to 365 °F/185°C.
11. Gently place the doughnuts into the oil, 3 to 4 at a time. Cook for 1 minute per side or until golden brown (my doughnuts only took about 30 seconds on each side at this temperature).
12. Transfer to a cooling rack placed in baking pan. Allow to cool for 15 to 20 minutes prior to glazing, if desired.
I have used chocolate glazing
PREPARATION OF CHOCOLATE GLAZE
Combine the butter and the milk together and let it simmer till all the butter is melted.
Add the chocolate pieces and continue to cook till it becomes a smooth paste.
Remove from the heat and add the icing sugar and mix well
Glaze these doughnuts according to your taste.
HOLES DUSTED WITH CINNAMON SUGAR
WHO SAYS DOUGHNUTS HAVE TO BE ONLY ROUND IN SHAPE???????????????
My daughter had a great time glazing these doughnuts(in between slurping the chocolate:-) ) and decorating them. She loves colours......I wonder why she is planning to take up engineering as her career?????????????
Hmmmmmm anyway back to some more doughnuts..........